Job Summary (Full-Time Position)
Coulter Companies, Inc., part of a leading family held waste service organization that has been in business since 1928, is seeking the right individual to be part of our safety team as a Commercial Driver Trainer. This opportunity is located in our Peoria, IL corporate office. The Commercial Driver Trainer will work with drivers of all experience levels in new hire orientation, training monitoring, coaching, and re-evaluation of DOT safety rules and compliance using a variety of methods. Commercial Driver Trainers will play a significant role in driver development by mentoring new hires and driver trainers. Now is a great time to join our team!
Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Work directly with Safety, Operations and HR to achieve the following:
- Facilitate the driver trainer on-boarding and new hire orientation.
- Develop, implement, and review various training and educational presentations as directed by the safety department. Presentations include, but are not limited to orientation, log preparation, vehicle inspection requirements, HAZMAT, load securement, security fatigue and other areas as required.
- Test new hires to ensure training compliance with written, observation, & field testing.
- Works with the safety department and operations to continuously review new & seasoned driver’s safety compliance utilizing video monitoring and telematics.
- Create & implement coaching programs based on employee video monitoring & telematics report; coach, retest, and review employees as necessary.
- Utilize computer monitors to co-review video and telematics reports with drivers for coaching events.
- On occasion, physically coach drivers on proper procedures at various facilities and/or in vehicles.
- Meet regularly with the safety department and Operations Managers to recommend opportunities for ongoing training and compliance updates.
- Follow-up on trainees’ progress at appropriate intervals of employment, example: 30, 60, 90 days and beyond.
- Directly supervise all driver trainers within their zone; train driver trainers on the essential duties and responsibilities of their role; ensure compliance.
- Assist HR in the selection and evaluation of driver trainers.
- Work to change driver attitudes, improve behavior, and increase skills to build a “be safe” culture.
Required Education, Skills and Experience include:
- Class B with airbrakes is required; however, Class A with Hazmat is preferred
- Must pass and remain current with DOT & Company physical, strength testing and drug screen
- Must be detail oriented
- 5+ years or more experience in the waste industry
- Knowledge and application of Federal DOT regulations
- Experience reading, interpreting, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Remain current concerning rules, regulations, policies and laws
- Earned Smith Driver Trainer Certification within the last year and half (preferred)
- Ability to operate automated or semi-automated hoisting devices that raise refuse bins and dump contents into openings in truck bodies
- Ability to have contact and discussions with others though classroom and field training
We offer an excellent benefit package. If you are interested in this position, please apply on our website www.pdcarea.com or submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject Line: Commercial Driver Trainer
Coulter Companies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.